Monday, April 16, 2012

A Tour of the City

The missionaries in this area helped in an English class that is taught by a non-member, who just caught their web site advertisement on line and called them. In exchange, she offered to give them a tour of the city, since she is also a tour guide. It was set for today and so we got invited. Our tour guide had put her laundry out on her drying rack because the day started sunny and clear. But it poured during our tour and was windy. The elders had left their coats at home because of the sunny weather, and had to shiver throughout the tour, which was on foot. I only took my raincoat and will take my down coat from now on.
It was great to tour the old part of the city, and afterwards, on the way back to the church; she asked me if I was born in the church or if I converted. I told her I was born in it. Then she asked if I believed in all of it. While we walked, I was able to testify that we all must become converted and told her about my conversion and how it's blesssed my life. After she left to go home, I told the missionaries about our conversation and they shared that the first time they met her, she asked them all kinds of questions and that they basically gave her the first three lessons as they talked. Then they gave her the Book of Mormon. Today, they asked her if she had read any of the book they gave her and she told them she had. I hope she takes the lessons! During the tour, she talked about not liking churches from the Bauroque period because their art was full of the idea that we are all sinners and unable to approach God. I remember dreading every evening while I was in a Catholic hospital with Justin's birth. Over the intercom they would read a prayer that was so full of self-debasing language, and I would look at this new-from-God's-presence baby, and think how different our concepts of God were. I thought of that experiece today as she made her comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment