Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup and a Castle

4/18/12
We had a great time tonight at FHE with the Young Adults. We took chicken noodle soup and they seemed to enjoy it. The missionaries really enjoyed it! (I took a little plastic bucket so they could take some home.) Last week at zone conference, one of the elders who is going home in a few weeks talked about how much he appreciated the senior couples. He said that they had been family to him. I thought, "That's something I can do. I can be family to these elders."

After dinner, we all walked to Veszprem's city center and up to the wall of the castle. The castle is just some ruins, but the view over the city was beautiful! On the wall, there are huge statues of St. Steven, the first king of Hungary and the person who converted to Christianity. He also stopped the nomadic lifestyle and settled cities, which kept the Hungarian race from being absorbed by other ethnicities. Marcel told us that the statues of him and his queen were not to scale. He said that Steven was a very short Hungarian and that his queen, who was German, was twice his size. When I mentioned this to another young adult, he told me that it was an incorrect rumor. He said that King Steven was a big man. Now, Napoleon and Cesar were short, but not Steven. (Hungarians make Canadians look modest.) It was a very fun walk. When they found out I enjoy theater, they took me to the city's theater.

We only had five YAs attending tonight, and I felt a little down that more hadn't come. But when I looked at Marcel, enjoying himself with these other YAs, I just felt so glad that we are here to give him a ride so that he has a group to meet with.

No comments:

Post a Comment