Sunday, April 22, 2012

Gulash and Family Home Evening

4/4/12

We just had Family Home Evening with the young adults for the first time. We took Gulash and they liked it. When I asked them if this tasted like the traditional soup, they said that it is usually made with beef and much saltier. (I made it with pork roast because the only time we were served it in a home, it was made with pork. We were also told that the beef here is expensive and poor quality. Hungarians like a lot of salt. Glad these kids told me the scoop.) Richard assigned them all to bring a soup recipe next week. That ought to be fun. I hope that they are something I can replicate. I asked if they wanted to have soup each week or have a treat. (I refuse to do both!) They said they wanted the soup. I told them that I had served Taco soup to some Hungarians in our branch and that I didn't think that they liked it. But these Young adults said that they liked to try American soup. So, next week we'll bring Taco soup. They told me that Hungarians love "soups". They said that they even like hot soup in the summer. whew! That will take some getting used to. One soup that everyone keeps telling us about is fruit soup. It is a cold soup and everyone says it is delicious.
Afterwards we played Wink Murder and a clap game that we learned last night at a concert. It was really a fun evening. A young man from Szekes. goes to school in Vesprem, (it's about 40 minutes from where we live,) which is where the Young Adult Center is, and he's going to these events and ride home with us. His name is Marcell and he speaks english very well. The missionaries also help us with interpreting. Only a few of the other youth speak some english. It's challenging, but friendship bridges any gaps in our communication. Friendship and cookies. And now: soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment